Our District

Located on the northwest side of Corpus Christi, Texas, West Oso ISD is comprised of four schools and an alternative center. Our students are the pulse of this community. As educators and community members, we work together to create an environment that promotes a desire to learn and succeed. 

Our Mission

Empowering our community with college/career readiness for global opportunities!

Our Vision

Embracing innovative education to ensure leadership and success!

West Oso ISD History

  • 1884: The West Oso Independent School District doors first open in Corpus Christi, Texas. 
  • 1916: The increased enrollment demands another school building. 
  • 1964: John F. Kennedy opens and later moves to its current location.
  • 1969: The campus on Bear Lane opens its doors in the fall as West Oso High School with Al Smith as superintendent.
  • 2000: West Oso Elementary on Cliff Maus opens its doors in the fall, housing students in grades 2–5. 
  • 2008: The campus on Bear Lane is converted to West Oso Jr. High School for the beginning school year, housing students in grades 6–8. 
  • 2008: West Oso High School on Flato Road opens its doors in May, housing students in grades 9–12.